Home Page

What are the different ways a child with SEND will be supported?


a) Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning, making teaching more visual or the use of special resources and equipment.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo/other specialist members of staff and outside professionals) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher, along with the Senior Leadership Team, will constantly assess your child’s progress and will provide extra support to help them make the best possible progress.


Specific group work

Intervention which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or another area in the school e.g. the Provision for Deaf Children, Summerside House or the Group Room.
  • Run by a Nursery Nurse, teacher (including those on the Senior Leadership Team), specialist teacher (such as a Teacher of the Deaf), a communicator/British Sign Language tutor, or a teaching assistant (TA).

b) Specialist support from outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy

SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)

This means a pupil has been identified by the Inclusion Manager as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional from outside the school. This usually happens when a child has made less than expected progress despite evidence based interventions and has an identified special educational need. This specialist support may be from:

  • Local Authority central services, such as the Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC) Outreach Team, High Incidence Behaviour Support Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).
  • Our Playtherapist or Art therapist
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAHMS and Grief Encounter
  • Speech and Language Therapy services
  • Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy


What could happen?

  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

 c)  Specified Individual support

For some children it is appropriate to apply for an Educational Health Care Plan if, after evidenced based intervention over time and advice form outside agencies, it is decided that their learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out an EHCP assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  •  It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.