Summerside believes it is imperative that school and families work closely together to support all children, especially those with SEND.
The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.
Mrs Shanahan is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have. Please contact her via the main school office on 02084451192. Please note her working days are Tuesday-Thursday.
She is often in the playground at the beginning and end of the day for a more informal discussion.
- All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
- Personal progress targets / Individual Educational Plans / Individual Behaviour Plans will be reviewed with your involvement every term.
- Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual requirements.
- A home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
- Support staff who provide a high level of 1:1 support for your child will be outside at the start and end of the day.
- We conduct a parent/families questionnaire on an annual basis to seek your views.
- We hold Coffee Mornings for families with children with SEND on at least a termly basis.
- Families who have a child in the Provision for Deaf Children are invited in every morning for a ‘soft start’ with their child and to discuss anything with the members of staff who work with their child.
- At each termly Parent’s Evening, Mrs Shanahan provides an SEND Drop In service where you can pop in and meet with her to discuss any issues.