Staff at Summerside are approachable and anyone you approach will support you in finding he right person to speak to.
The class teacher
Summerside strongly believes that every teacher is a teacher of all children in their class, including those with a SEND.
Class teachers are responsible for:
- Assessing the progress of your child and identifying, planning and possibly delivering any additional support your child may need (this could be targeted work or differentiated work) and working alongside the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo)/other specialist members of staff.
- Writing targets/Individual Education Plans (IEPs) with the SENCo and other members of staff and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term.
- Having a clear understanding of the school’s Provision Map and additional interventions that your child is receiving.
- Personalising teaching and learning for your child to best suit their specific needs.
- Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.
The SENCo: Mrs N Shanahan (Inclusion Manager/Asst.Head)
The SENCo is responsible
- Developing and reviewing the school’s SEN policy.
- Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).
- Ensuring that you are:
i) involved in supporting your child’s learning.
ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting.
iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.
- Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
- Updating the school’s SEN Profile (a register to ensure that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
- Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.
- Working closely with the Head Teacher and Governing Body
- Mrs Shanahan has a National Award in Special Educational Needs Coordination.
The Head Teacher: Mrs N Lewis
The Head Teacher is responsible for:
- The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
- The Head teacher will give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
- The Head teacher makes sure that Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.
The SEN Governor: Ms B Dulay
The SEN Governor is responsible for:
- Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.
School contact telephone number: 02084451192